THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

On other people's misery in film

Tara: I saw The Lives of Others last night. It was amazing.
Coworker 3: Really? Okay, I'll watch that if you watch Letters from Iwo Jima.
Coworker 1: What's that?
Coworker 3: It's this Clint Eastwood movie that's totally dope. About how the Japanese were preparing for 2 months for this battle against the Americans that they knew they would lose. It's in black and white and is beautiful.
Coworker 1: That sounds good.
Coworker 3: Yeah, it's not like his other movies, like Million Dollar Baby. That movie was so depressing I went and smothered my kids whispering "You don't need to live in this world anymore".
[Editor's note: he doesn't have any kids]
Coworker 1: I didn't even finish it, it was so depressing.
Coworker 3: That movie is so depressing it makes Schindler's List look like a musical comedy.
Tara: I can't believe you just said that.
Coworker 1: Schindler's list isn't that bad once you get past the first hour and a half.
Tara: What? The holocaust?
Coworker 1: I like the holocaust. At least it's entertaining.
Tara: [sitting in a puddle of abject horror] I think you just bought your ticket to Hell.
Coworker 3: You sir just demonstrated that you have your finger on the pulse of marketing. "What? It's just the holocaust. We'll make a movie about it and it'll make millions!" That's why I'm going to go home and watch United 93 and World Trade Center back to back, eating popcorn and glorifying other people's misery.
Coworker 1: I tried to watch World Trade Center and couldn't do it because Nicolas Cage is in it.
Tara: Yeah, I try to avoid his movies.
Coworker 3: You know what's next? They're going to make software so they start showing movies about the worst times in your life. "I'm going to watch the movie about that time I got dumped." "No, wait, I'm going to watch the movie about when my dad got fired. And Nicolas Cage plays my dad yelling at me to go to my room."

No comments: